Monday, June 21, 2010

Blossom end rot and June beetles

I checked in with the tomato plants and found a plant or two with what appears to be blossom end rot. Eek! A review of the internets revealed that the solution should involve a fertilizing with a low nitrogen and high phosphorus. It will not transfer from plant to plant, so given that I have about 60 other tomato plants, I don't think we are in any danger of running out!

In other news, there are a TON of June bugs eating up the garden. The amaranth has not fared well, and they have discovered the magic rose bush (when we moved in, it was a stick and I didn't like it. Then it blossomed and had about 50 flowers, so I loved it).

Oh! Also, the buckwheat cover crop seems to be putting out the stuff you make buckwheat flour out of. Need to figure out what to do about that. And the tobacco sprouted. I am still waiting for the first cucumber.....

No comments:

Post a Comment